Similarly to just about every other college student, I want to have a super great and creative Halloween costume, but I want it to cost me like $3 dollars (you know, like half of what I have in my bank account at any given time). This year, one of my best friend’s and I came up with a really neat costume, that was super inexpensive and super fun. Here’s what we came up with!
Now this was FUN. We bought over-sized long sleeved t-shirts from a crafts store, like Michael’s or Hobby Lobby for about $10. Used an exacto-knife and some scissors to shred them up “Yeezy” style, and BOOM! We had our “dresses”.
Then, we used some black and white face paint we picked up from Walmart for about $4 dollars (split between us 2, $2) and looked up some cool designs on Pinterest to follow for a half-face design.
After about 45 minutes of perfecting face paint, we did our other sides of our faces with regular makeup we already had, then curled our hair just for something simple and quick.
Now this was the biggest purchase of the whole look: we invested in some thigh high black suede boots to complete this look for about $50 (each of us). This is completely up to change depending on your budget, but we saw this as an opportunity to also get boots we could wear over and over, not just for Halloween! Any other shoe that you already have, or a cheaper option could work just as well.
I love food, but I am not the most motivated cook. That’s what I have recipes like this for! Extremely inexpensive, quick and simple to make, and SO GOOD. Keep reading for this amazing 3-ingredient Chili Cheese Dip!
First, you need to purchase your ingredients. For a small portion I only get one 8 oz. package of Philadelphia Creme Cheese ($2.27), one can of Hormel Chili with NO BEANS ($2.08) and a small bag of shredded sharp cheddar cheese ($4.75). Don’t forget to snag a bag of chips to dip it in! I typically grab a bag of Tostitos Scoops for about $3, but there are definitely even cheaper options that would work the same!
- To begin, I preheat the oven to 350 degrees, which takes a conventional oven about 6 minutes to complete. This is about how much time you need to put the dip together, it’s seriously that easy.
- Using a small glass pan, take the entire package of creme cheese and cover the whole bottom of the pan with it evenly.
- Spread the whole can of bean-less chili on top of the creme cheese layer, spreading it evenly as well.
- Top this with a layer of the shredded sharp cheddar cheese until the chili is covered, or add even more if more cheesy is what you prefer!
- Place the pan in the oven and set a timer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes the top layer of cheese should be melted and you can take out the pan and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Then break open your bag of tortilla chips and dig in!!!
It’s cold out there guys, it gets dark way too early and it’s definitely depressing. For those days that make you instantly pissed off by being whipped by cold air as soon as you step out the door, here are some things that I’m obsessing over to pick my mood up right now!
- Christmas Music: 100%, I am not ashamed whatsoever, turn on Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You” and get a playlist going. I hear the beginning of that song and I turn full-out performer in seconds, probably even start my own kick-line if the setting allows. But seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever gotten in a WORSE mood by listening to that song, so why not give it a shot, RIGHT??
- Chili Cheese Dip. So random, but hot, delicious and ready in like 20 minutes. When I’m hungry and not in the mood to drop cash on a short lived Taco Bell or McDonald’s run, I whip this up and chow down. Search through my other blog posts for the recipe!
- Calling/FaceTiming friends I haven’t seen in a while. I transferred schools, so it always makes me feel better to catch up with friends from my first college and see how they’re doing. Old friends love to know you still think about them and it’s great to blow off some steam and get a fresh perspective from people you see all the time. These are a couple screen shots after hours and hours of much-needed phone time with my long distance best friends.
4. Take a nap. This might seem counter productive but naps in moderation can be really good for increasing your mood. I’m guilty of going well beyond what I refer to as “moderation” but hey, sometimes your body just needs that. But when it’s done, get up and out of your room and do something to make yourself feel productive!
So to preface, I’m not going to pretend that I’m some crazy talented makeup guru. In fact, I taught myself everything I know through YouTube makeup tutorials and hours and hours of practice (to procrastinate school work, duh). Although I really don’t know the “correct way” of doing makeup, it’s still something I enjoy playing around with, and more particularly eye shadow.
I am a full time college student on a part-time employment budget, I KNOW the importance of spending money on things that are worth it. Blowing money I use to eat on makeup? It’s an addiction, sorry mom!! With that being said, I wanted to make a little post about my thoughts on the Modern Renaissance Palette by Anastasia Beverly Hills. After getting my hands on it after a few months after it’s release (it sold out literally EVERYWHERE, for SO LONG!!), it’s safe to say I am obsessed with it and use it every single day!
Here’s a look I did the very day that I bought it. There are so many beautiful transition shades and even more amazing vibrant warm pinkish colors that really make you want to try something new everyday.
The formula for this product is incredibly and very pigmented, meaning you don’t need to use a lot to create the look that you want. Which means, it lasts you a longer amount of time! It cost me $42, and comes with 14 incredible shades, coming out to only $3 a color. For the quality of this product, that is an amazing deal! 10/10 recommend to everybody! 🙂
I’m a twin, okay a fraternal twin… but it still ROCKS. Here’s a few reasons why:
- I have a best friend all the time, no matter what. Whether she’s in the mood to listen to me vent or not, she does it anyway, and I’ll always do the same because that’s just what a BFF does.
- We laugh at people who think we’re telepathic and can read each other’s minds. Like, I get that might have happened in old Mary Kate and Ashley shows but seriously?? No I don’t know what number she’s thinking of right now and NO I didn’t feel pain too when she broke her wrist. (Other than emotionally, I hate seeing her hurt!!)
- We like the same things, but are still wildly independent. Growing up and playing the same sports was tough, but slowly we grew into different directions and pursued our own interests; and supported each other every step of the way.
- We grew up in the same house for 18 years, and for some of that we even shared a bedroom. There are so many shenanigans that we would get into, and at the end of the day could walk across the hall and have a “sleepover”.
- We may fight, but if someone else crosses the other, you better watch out. I’m not sure anything makes me more mad than someone upsetting my sister. I may be a tad bias, but she’s one of the greatest people I know and as her older sister (by 17 minutes LOL) it’s my job to fire back.
If you go to UW-Whitewater, you are familiar with the Sweet Spot coffee shop. With two conveniently located shops, one bakehouse on main across from Auto Zone and one cafe by the bars down by the lake, it’s hard to pass by and not drive through for a coffee. Here’s what I order when I go to The Sweet Spot Bakehouse and Cafe:
Large Iced White Chocolate Mocha – $4.45
This coffee is my absolute favorite. I’m not even sure that’s a real thing, but I say it and they make it, PERFECTLY. I swear iced coffee has the power to bring me back from the dead, I. am. not. kidding. It is life.
For food my typical go-to’s are:
The Double Bacon and Cheese Bagel – $4.50
I get this when I’m in need of an actual meal, and I’m super hungry. These bagels are A-MA-ZING.
or just an Asiago Bagel with Plain Cream Cheese – $2.00
When I’m not as hungry and just looking to snack, I get this. The put the cream cheese on and heat it for you. So simple, but SO good.
This place may or may not be the reason I can’t save any of my money… but it’s truly addicting! Plus, the staff is always so friendly and inviting. Give this place a chance if you’re crazy enough to live in Whitewater and not have already. You will not be disappointed.
Browse their full menu at: http://sweetspotwhitewater.com/
When life gets to be a little bit too much, I believe it’s important to remember there are things we can do to get us back on track.
- Get up a little earlier than you normally do – even if its just 15 minutes
- Try maintaining a sleep schedule
- Prepare for your day the night before
- Say “no” more often
- Avoid negativity
- Break down big tasks into smaller, more manageable ones
- Pet a dog
- Say something nice to someone, and to yourself
- Give yourself time to relax
- Turn on some music and dance
- Look at the stars
- Practice your breathing
- Surround yourself with great people and let them help you
- Sit down and vent to somebody
- Get up in the morning and stretch
- Eat cleaner, and get enough sleep
- Declutter your life – and your room
- Realize how people treat you and how that compares to how you should be treated
- Try and keep a journal
- Practice your appreciative listening
- Freely praise other people